Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Childhood versus Today

As a child a grew up in a middle class family. We did have a smaller house but it was nice. We all had our own room and my mom decked them out. I have two brothers and one sister all younger than me. Growing up we got to do all the fun stuff. Vacations in the summer and so on and on. My grandparents lived a block away and were included in our lives daily. We spent Sundays at church and big meals afterward. When I was little I wouldn't say I was really deprived of anything. I just asked and someone gave it to me. I didn't realize how bad I would suffer as an adult and these things still happen. When I was 14 I wanted the $80.00 Girbaud jeans. My parents said no way. So I went to my grandmother and told her and she said to my mom, if a child doesn't feel good about themselves then they won't do good in school. So I moved in with my grandparents for nine months where they allowed me $350 a week clothing budget. When I moved home I had over 45 pairs of Girbaud jeans and shorts. A number I would never forget. Today I think that I have 4 pairs of jeans not a one namebrand. I also got anything else I wanted. When I turned 16 my grandma bought me a car. I talked my mom into letting me quit school and work full time. My mom let me drink, she let me smoke. And other than working that's what I did. I made $350 a week at that age and I only had to pay $40 a month car insurance and my gas. Everything else went to beer and clothes and music. Throughout my teens my parents or grandparents have bought me 6 cars. Two houses. And today pay all my bills. If I need money I just ask. Two years ago my grandfather started keeping track of my spending. Last week I just hit $206,000.00. In two years. In no way could I have ever made this in two years. I probably couldn't even in my lifetime. Today this affects me because my kids say I want a new bike lets ask grandpa. I don't want them to think someone will always pay there bills. I want them to know they have to work for what they want and I have done a poor job of showing them this. I started feeling guilty and depressed about that amount. People live on 1/6 a year. I really need to figure on how to downsize my spending and take it over for myself.......

No comments: